Monday, November 11, 2013

an overdue adieu

When I tell people that I have an etiquette blog, they are fascinated.  They always want to know how on earth I started such a thing.

And I tell them the truth:  My friends made me.  (To be specific:  Lisa, Melinda, Sarah, and Suzanha.)

It was six years ago, and I was a young attorney and a newlywed with a sassy bob and a lot of free time.  Much of that free time was spent networking.  Proper Husband and I were Quite the Young Professionals on the scene in Austin.  (In many ways, he still is.  I'll get to where that puts me in a moment.)

My friends kept telling me, "You need to blog."  I insisted that I wasn't an *expert* at anything (not then aware that a whopping majority of blogs are, ahem, written by people who aren't experts at anything).  After some pressuring and probing, I did confess that I am The Friend that people come to with etiquette questions.  

Writing about etiquette with your real name seemed risky and judgmental to me.  I needed a pen name.  And so, Proper Paige came to be.

Six years later, I am still an attorney and still very happily married.  I have very little free time.  Why?  I have an amazing son who is almost 4 years old.  I have a long commute.  I have a rewarding (and challenging) career.  And I have a bun in the oven.  

I don't go to networking events much anymore, because I rush home from the office to preschool to pick up the Proper(ish) Toddler.  It's not a chore; it's a joy.  Getting home to him and Proper Husband is the bright light of every day.  On the rare evenings when I have made plans after work, I inevitably miss them so much that I wish I didn't have whatever plans I've made.  (But then I go and have fun, but there's a pull, you see.)

This means that very little of my time is spent, oh, people watching in cool restaurants; stepping foot into a bar; hosting tapas parties; and things of that nature.  I still have strong opinions about etiquette.  That's innate.  But, you see, I don't have the time, or the desire, to write about them right now.

And when I tell people I have an etiquette blog, I feel like a poser, because it has gotten so little attention from me in the past couple of years, is that an overstatement?

So, there's nothing to stop me from warming up my typing fingers and dropping an opinion here from time to time.  I would love it if you kept me bookmarked.

But, if you don't hear from me, please know that I'm out there in the world, trying to be a wife, mother, attorney, writer, daughter, sister, runner, and friend -- all while treating people with the grace and respect with which I hope to be treated.  Oh, and always writing thank you notes and using the correct fork.  Some things never change.

Be well, and thanks for sharing.

-- Proper Paige

Oh, and if you are *totally* going to miss me so much you can't stand it, I'm also Instagramming my face off.  @hdbernard.  And I tweet sometimes.  Also @hdbernard.  Hugs.

1 comment:

~*Jess*~ said...

Awwww! Well I'll just ask you all my questions anyway. Like I always do.