Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Taking Questions Tuesday: Where Have I Been?

I intended to put Simple Etiquette to bed with that last post.  

I needed to focus on a variety of things:  my career, my pregnancy with my second child, my family.  I was a little overwhelmed with life.  Writing an etiquette blog felt a little indulgent, a little pointless, and a little bit overdue for the cutting room floor.

[End scene.]

And then, I recently read this quote:  (I love quotes, man.)

"Trust in what you love, continue to do it, and it will take you where you need to go."
- Natalie Goldberg 

Dammit.  I love Natalie Goldberg.  She wrote Writing Down the Bones, which I read in high school and which made an indelible mark on me.

I realized that I was thinking about it, the future of this blog, all wrong.

Granted, I don't have the lifestyle that I had when Proper Husband and I were in our twenties.  I don't often get to sit at a restaurant, sip a martini, and think about how people ought to write their thank you notes.  (Who does?  Did I ever?)  

I'm not *always* at networking happy hours, the newest cool restaurant, or the ubiquitous music festival.  (I do miss eating out without children.  Note to self:  Plan date night.)

So what?  Are only fabulous urban twenty-somethings held accountable to etiquette standards? (Snort.  As if.)

These days, I am at Target when it opens on Saturday morning.  I'm at Starbucks, a lot.  I am at home, raising two beautiful boys, trying to teach them to be good citizens of the world.  I am at the office, having meetings, being a professional person.

Etiquette is more important than ever. (Lightbulb.)

And so, picture it.  (Sicily, 1920.)

I'm back.

Hope you find yourself emerging today.

Ta ta for now,

Proper Paige

1 comment:

Sara Panza said...

Yes. Yes, ma'am. I only send snail mail because of you.

Making time for the things that are important to you is never a bad choice. :)